Boye Round Loom Teddy Bear
I came across a video on day by a person who calls herself the Loom Muse- she has a video up for a simple pattern for a loom-knit teddy bear. I have previously made a bear with sewing, and have a patchwork bear my grandmother gave us as well as a Vermont Teddy Bear. I also have several small teddy bears, so when I saw this pattern, I thought it would be nice to make a loom knit bear.
A couple of notes- this is an easy pattern. The bear IS adorable. I followed her pattern fairly closely, only changing things like my cast off and sewing pieces together. What I will do on the next bear: I will make the arms longer and perhaps the body shorter, more like that "Silly ol bear" Pooh (I forgot, I also have several Pooh bears.) The Muse herself has re-done her original pattern, but the first one is so easy, I decided to stick with it. I may also in the future use three strands of yarn instead of two.
Here are her videos:
(including her advice on gauges-slightly different from mine, as she doesn't define yards as "weights")
Here is my first attempt at a bear on looms (you might not know I have been loom knitting for over 12 years, but have never made animals)
My Bear's name is PB - (Pink Bear, but also PeeBee because I was swarmed by bees when I was 5 and the medication, well, yes, made me pee alot. I remember my mother making me a Pink Bear and we named her PB)
I did not use plastic eyes- I embroidered the eyes and nose. I also feel that perhaps the woman who wrote the pattern doesn't have the same needle knitting experience that I do- I am not saying that to criticize her, she seems very talented. But I started with needle knitting before loom knitting and sometimes that experience is a plus when adapting patterns. I may even make this bear on needles with the exception of the head, but even the head could be made on needles. My mother, an expert knitter, always followed written patterns exactly, and so her bear would have been like the bear above. I probably even have the original bear pattern around here somewhere because I have all of my mother's knitting patterns.
I used Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo acrylic worsted-weight yarn in "Perfect Pink". The pink is not for the recently used "Pink Power" theme, but for my (c) "Pink Neelix" patterns. A pink Neelix (c) is what your mother might knit for you, as first influenced by Neelix of Star Trek Voyager and the blankets his mother knit for him. You can find that reference in Star Trek Voyager, Season 4, Episode 24, in the first couple of minutes, when Neelix refuses to give Tuvok his sleeping blankets.




No comments:
Post a Comment