Sunday, March 3, 2019

Kid's Spool Knitters and Rugs

There is a great advantage to some kid's spool knitters. If you look at the distance between the pegs, this is the stitch length.  Those knitters meant for very young children often have pegs spaced further apart than other knitters.  Not quite as long a stitch as a corker, but longer than a Knitting Nancy.  This is an advantage when planning braided rugs that will be sewn on a machine.

The longer stitch length gives a slightly more loose knit strand, which makes the braid for a rug slightly more flat. It then fits more easily under the presser foot of a machine.

Below is the pink rug I have started, using a blue plastic kid's knitter.  I have three jumbo skeins of Red Heart Super Saver Acrylic in "Perfect Pink"and am making a rug for a bedroom.



The knitter is about an 1-3/4 inches high and has a distance of 3/4 of an inch between the four pegs. I found four of them together on Ebay.





No comments:

Post a Comment