Making Your Own Knitting Needles
In 2014 I had to make a short circular needle to use in a sock pattern I was writing. I had thought I had made a video about making these needles, but perhaps it got lost on an old hard drive. I do have the photo, and I used bamboo pieces and tubing.
The photo is from November 4, 2014
I am at it again, only this time I am making large size needles. Sizes 35, 50 and 70 are only available in limited forms commercially. I am making longer double points, circular, and possibly straight needles. One material you can use to do this is in this video: link
I will be posting photos of my size 35 bamboo/clay needles, hand-carved needles, etc. as I finish them. I have even made some square needles.
Below: rough cutting the tips of a cut/divided vintage snow shovel handle, for double point needles in size 50.
Below: rough cutting the tips of a cut/divided vintage snow shovel handle, for double point needles in size 50.
Make sure to wear Kevlar carving gloves and keep the wood in a vise, to prevent cuts from the saw jumping.
New Videos:
Below are photos of my finished needles in sizes 19 (foreground) and 70. The size 70 have tips of clay.
New Videos:






No comments:
Post a Comment