Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Handy Stitch Hand-held Sewing Machine

Recently I have begun using my hand held sewing machines more often.  They are light and portable, are very good for piecing or garment construction, and with rechargeable batteries, help cut down on electricity costs.  I have several types, including Sun brand manual stitchers, Singer Stitch-Sew-Quick, Smartek Handheld Sewing Machine, and a Handy Stitch.

There are two different products called "Handy Stitch". One was made by Singer, and if you compare that construction with the second model, you will see that it was slightly different, with a round "on" button on the top.  The Handy Stitch that I have was distributed by IdeaVillage, and is more similar to the other larger models mentioned above with a rectangular on/off switch.  I picked this one up because it came with the DC adapter, making it a small electric machine, good when sewing at one place.


The set also came with 32 bobbins and 32 small spools of thread.  Regarding the needle type- this model takes the 24 x 1 (DH x 1) needles, similar to the Sun manual and Smartek sewing machines.  The Singer Stitch-Sew-Quick takes a 15 x 1 (2020) regular sewing machine needles.  The shorter needle of the Handy Stitch is an advantage in some ways because there is more room between the needle and the fabric, so it is easier to get the fabric in place, as compared to the longer needles of the Stitch-Sew-Quick.  

The Singer Handy Stitch might be a vintage item, made before the Stitch-Sew-Quick - it is part number
CEX3000KD . NOTE: I would not buy another Smartek Handheld Sewing Machine. I have had two of them- the first one had a problem running, and the second one will not make a stitch.


No comments:

Post a Comment